Saturday 14 August 2010

Is Recording An Art Form?"

I was asked a few days ago whether I thought that recording (by the word recording I mean the capturing of a vocal or musical recording) was an art form or just a case of getting all of the frequencies in the right places.
Well!! my opinion is that it is an art form similar to the painting of pictures where an artist painter has to get all of the colours in in all the right places.
A very experienced sound engineer once asked me what I thought might be the most important thing I need in a recording studio, after mentioning many pieces of equipment I was told it was none of those but my ears that were the most important, of course I had to agree and was annoyed with myself for not realising it in the first place.
I ask you a question now as an engineer do I start with a concept and build my work to it or do I start with what I feel the end result must be.
I will leave this post open to conjector and a link to a track that will give you a sample of a mix that you can comment on.
http://www.soundback.co.uk/mp3/ALICE-COOPER/School-s-Out/2073-mp3-backing-tracks.php

No comments:

Post a Comment