Monday 23 August 2010

Answer to the Key Question"-or- "Is It Auto-Tune"

CONTINUED FROM LAST POST.
Analyzing the key, OK to start with the reason we have a key is so that we don't want to waste time trying different scales of music to see which suits our voice and that a singer can confirm with certainty to another a scale that their voice can cope best with. How would you know your key,well that in my opinion is the middle note between the highest and lowest registered note that your voice will support with an even volume and power. This does simplify things I know but as I say it's my opinion given with well over 20 years in the recording industry.
AUTO TUNE.
I have noticed in the last week or so that vocal auto tune has become a topic of conversation in the National Media. Once again I will voice an opinion on such a maligned topic. With the country using up singing entertainers at an alarming rate it has become necessary to bring to the forefront singing entertainers (quickly) who for the most part have enough talent to carry their good fortune and become an Icon something I am sure by their very nature Singing Entertainers crave for. So where does auto-tune come into it? If you have read my Analyzing the key then you will have realised that it is importent from most peoples perspective to sing in tune,not nessersarily my opinion by the way, so now that a piece of equipment has been developed to ensure this why not use it?
Personally any enhancement that can make entertaining better I agree with being used no matter what.
As John Lennon said. http://www.soundback.co.uk/mp3/JOHN-LENNON/Imagine/1395-mp3-backing-tracks.php or http://www.soundback.co.uk/mp3/JOHN-LENNON/Whatever-Gets-You-Through-The-Night/6108-mp3-backing-tracks.php.

2 comments:

  1. I can see why autotune is a useful studio tool but surely using it a competition defeats the purpose of having a competition in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very worthwhile question sent in by Joe Connor that I shall be giving some thought to and hopefully have a satifactory answer on my next post.

    ReplyDelete